My DIY Farmhouse Table


I had been wanting to create this table for the longest time. I couldn’t seem to find the perfect wood for it. I didn’t want to buy it I really wanted authentic barn wood. My sister had an old barn they are planning to tear down so I took the opportunity to go check it out. Oh my talk about barn wood heaven!  And the barn was in good enough shape to have a roof so the inside wood was protected from the weather. I found some great boards. Brought them home and sanded them smoothish, is that a word?  I didn’t want to lose any of the beautiful grain so I just got them so you wouldn’t get slivers. Before sanding I decided on the length I wanted by measuring my current table, and cut them all to the same length and layed them out the way I wanted them to fit together. I then used short screws and pieces of plywood to hold the pieces together. It didn’t have to be pretty because who is going to climb under and inspect it?  Once finished I loaded it up and brought it up and into my house. 
Now came the tricky part. How to take my old table top off and add this one in its place. Thankfully the job was easier than expected. I added 2 by 4s to each side of the frame and proceeded to screw the top to the frame. Easy peasy!  Now mind you I don’t allow anyone to sit on the edge. It is sturdy but because the bottom is not one whole piece there is always a chance the outer boards could come loose. To protect the wood I covered it in Linseed Oil. I love the dark rich color that came out with the Linseed. 





A friend gave me this beautiful table runner and it is perfect!  I got that cute little farm sweet farm pitcher at our local pharmacy, Murray’s Pharmacy. 


Blessings,
Anna

Comments

Popular Posts