A knitting project completed!


I finished this baby blanket I started so many years ago. One day I decided I wanted to knit a blanket so my mom and I went into her sewing room and I found this pattern. Not sure why I chose pink but at the time it was what I wanted. I don’t knit often so it has been a long time from start to finish. As my mom started declining I found myself knitting more and after she passed I have found comfort doing it. I had about 1/3 of it done and got the last 2/3 done in the last few months. There is something comforting in the process of knitting. My mom spent a great deal of time knitting and it was something she could still do despite the decline in her sight.




 I have already chosen my next projects and have a hat I need to finish that I started for my daughter last winter. Knitting is a nice activity to do in the evenings when everyone is home and I want to be out in the living room with my husband. I can sit there with him watching TV and feel like I am accomplishing something. That’s another thing my mom passed to me, the need to feel like I’m doing something. Although I will never be as efficient as her. She bordered on obsessiveness like so many in her generation!  They had so many things to manage that I think they were always busy out of necessity. She grew up in a time when you had a crew to feed during harvest and as a child her mom had a wringer washing machine. My mom also had one of those pressing machines.  You know what I’m talking about?  I think it was called a Mangle.  And she pressed everything!  Even my dads hankeys. 
There is definitely something to be said for technology. I am so thankful for the modern conveniences we have today. I did get a love for a lot of things that made her life better though and I am so glad. I like to can, or more I like to have the stuff canned when I’m done!  Canning is a lot of work but the satisfaction you get when it’s done is so worth the effort!  
What are some things you love to do that we’re passed down to you from your parents or grandparents?
I am working hard to become a proficient knitter so I can create the things for my future grandkids that she did for hers. 

Blessings,
Anna




Comments

Popular Posts