Some Building Projects

Wanted to share some of the projects I did in the past. I got these accomplished last summer and learned some things while building them!

Here is a before picture of my cutting table, it was an old office desk and it worked well just was always a mess!
And another picture of my old cutting table.
 Here is my new cutting table.  I knew I wanted to build something that had a drop down table that I could fold up when I was not using it.  I searched and searched the internet to find a pattern and could not seem to find what I wanted with instructions.  I did find a picture of something similar on pinterest but with no instructions so I knew I was stuck just going with what I wanted on my own.  I measured my wall and went to cutting learning along the way.
 The table is made out of 3/4 inch plywood.  I started by deciding how big I wanted my table to be and measuring the wall so it would fit to my wall.  Then I went and started cutting, it is made out of 1 by 12's. 
 Another view.  I don't have a picture but I later added a cutting table to the top that I attached with duct tape all around the edges.
 Not really liking the legs but it is what I had at the time, they are two by fours and are attached with hinges so they will fold up. 
 This part was the most challenging.  I wasn't sure what to use to make these, was going to use 1/4 inch plywood with bead board over it but was worried about it being able to hold up since the doors are so big and heavy.  So I went to my kids old shop teacher and asked him. He suggested I make frames for the beadboard with my table saw to give it stability.  I have to tell you I am not a fan of the table saw and had not used it much. I was kind of afraid of it and could not cut a straight line when I used it.  He gave me some pointers and said this was the best way to do it.  So I decided I would go for it!  I took his suggestion and placed a brace to hold my boards in place I slid them across the saw and was amazed at how well it worked!  I was even able to cut the indent for the frame!  To do it I took a piece of 2 by 4 and clamped it to the saw up against the wood I was sliding across the saw.  I really need a lesson in building!  I bet there are tons of ideas that would make my life easier when I am building things!
 Here it is all loaded with my stuff!  And the table folded up, it is held in place with latches.

 Next came an update to my computer desk!  Here is the before picture.  What a mess!
 This was a very simple project.  The drawers are file cabinets with picture frames glued to the fronts with E6000 glue for decoration and then spray painted white.  The top is made out of 3/4 inch plywood with trim around the edges.

 And the last project was my shelving for my utility room which is way too small so I had to do something!  These were kind of challenging as I had to make them in this small room!  I was going to add doors but decided they were better left open.

 I have since added hooks to the front pieces for hanging coats and snowsuits.
And that is it for my projects from last summer!  I had a lot of fun and learned a ton about how to build.  I still have a ton more to learn and really need to take the time to watch some youtube videos on the subject!  If only I had good internet to do it.  But we can't have everything, right?
I hope I have inspired you to try something new!  I never would have thought I could accomplish something like this 5 years ago but when you decide to put your mind to something it is amazing what you can do.  Now to apply this to the other areas of my life!
Blessings,
Anna




Comments

Popular Posts